Monday, August 8, 2011

Aug. 8: But It's NOT a Dry Heat

We took the subway down to the Lower East side today and had lunch at Katz's Deli which has been around forever.


No, Jocelyn, I didn't order the tongue sandwich and, no, Rob, I didn't order the $11.10 bologna sandwich.



Instead, I ordered the turkey on rye which was entirely too big ... delicious but too big.



Some of you are old enough to remember the movie "When Harry Met Sally." The fake orgasm scene was filmed at Katz's and they have this sign above one of the tables:



Now that isn't interesting or funny by itself, but I found it hilarious because of the woman sitting below the sign. I snuck her photo. Does this make you grin at least a little bit?



We then caught a subway to Coney Island. I was thankful for the ocean breezes as it is very hot and very humid here. I overheard someone saying that he found the heat worse here than in Texas. Bob and I had gone to Coney Island when we were here in November and the photo below is a memory of it.



Bob suspected Coney would be busier in summer. Bob is usually correct and so below you can see how busy Coney Island is on a Monday in August. It was another great place to people watch.



I discovered a Harry Potter exhibit two short blocks from our hotel. It was mainly costumes and props from all movies. There were a few interactive parts to the walk-through as well. It was so well done and I was particularly interested in the costumes ... the fabrics, the lace, the buttons were great to see up close. The kids touring through the exhibit were much more interested in the wands and Dobby. Hagrid's clothes are massive; it's hard to believe they were made for a real human.



Tonight we went to "Hair" for the wonderful price of $37/each and then, as an added benefited, our seats were upgraded. Yahoo!




We have lots of good things planned for tomorrow, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow night to find out what.





















1 comment:

  1. I got your FB message Brenda and I was the same way on my blog. I'll have to ask Colleen about the show and HP's friends. Speaking of Harry, I'm very jealous about your exhibit; it is a shameful dream of mine to go to Harry Potter World in Orlando some day. I could die happy. Looks like you and Bob are having a blast and I'm enjoying reading about your trip.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete